Thanksgiving 2020 recipe
Comforting Fear'ed Casserole
1/2 lb butternut squash, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 lb sweet potato, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 teaspoons of oilve oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3/4 cup cream
¼ cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1.5 tsp (or more depending on the level of spice you want) of Cottage Lane Kitchen Cape Fear Relish
3 oz gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large pot over medium-high heat add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Then add the onion and sautee for 3-5 minutes, until it becomes soft and slightly translucent.
3. Add the squash and sweet potato. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The squash and sweet potato will still be firm. Add the Bbq sauce and Cape Fear relish. Stir well.
4. Meanwhile, beat the cream and eggs together in a mixing bowl. Mix in about a third of the cheese.
5. Add the hot squash to a 2-quart baking dish and pour the cream and cheese mixture over it. Mix or rearrange the vegetables so it is a relatively even layer. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check the squash and potato have softened with a knife. If not, bake covered until softened.
After testing that the ingredients have softened and if the cheese has not browned, turn on the broiler and broil until the surface becomes nicely golden. As always, be careful using the broiler as it can go from golden to brown to black quickly - keep an eye on it.